At BGCM, our vision is to Encourage, Empower, and Transform Communities. Careers in the STEAM field is becoming the way of 21st century life. Our programs develop capable students who can function in a highly technological world. Two-thirds of the engineers who receive Ph.D’s from US Universities are not US Citizens. The breakdown of college graduates with STEM Degrees are as follows: 46.7% China, 37.8% from South Korea, 28.7%, Germany, and 5.6% from the US. Therefore, it's important that our students get hands-on experience today! Our STEAM programs allow students to gain a competitive edge over their peers to place them in a position to compete against international students not only for college placement, but in the job market too. Students work in teams and individually and may go on to compete in competitions locally and nationally. Enroll your child today, so they can get a jump start!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Click below to view answers:
What is STEAM?
In this climate of economic uncertainty, America is once again turning to innovation as the way to ensure a prosperous future. Yet innovation remains tightly coupled with Science, Technology, Engineering and Math – the STEM subjects. Art + Design are poised to transform our economy in the 21st century just as science and technology did in the last century.
STEM + Art = STEAM STEAM is a movement championed by Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and widely adopted by institutions, corporations and individuals. The objectives of the STEAM movement are to: transform research policy to place Art + Design at the center of STEM encourage integration of Art + Design in K–20 education influence employers to hire artists and designers to drive innovation Source:
What's the Big Deal About STEAM?
STEAM educational practices draw on each of the disciplines, while appealing to a broader base of students who explore and make connections between art, music, mathematics, science, and engineering and technology. Two-thirds of the engineers who receive Ph.D’s from US Universities are not US Citizens. The breakdown of college graduates with STEM Degrees are as follows: 46.7% China, 37.8% from South Korea, 28.7%, Germany, and 5.6% from the US1.
The goal of initiatives instilling STEM in classrooms is not to create more scientists, engineers, or mathematicians but instead to develop capable students who can function in a highly technological world that draws upon multiple knowledge types2. STEAM education represents a recognized national next-generation high-impact academic model. The practices, strategies, and programming are built upon a foundation of identified national best practices which are designed to improve under-represented minority and low-income student growth, close achievement gaps, decrease dropout rates, increase high school graduation rates and improve teacher and principal effectiveness3. We need to improve the composition of the STEM education pipeline to include more women and underrepresented minorities. Although women fill close to half of all jobs in the U.S., they hold less than 25% of STEM-related jobs. At the same time, 43% of school-age children today are of African American, Latino, or Native American descent. Yet of all the engineering bachelor’s degrees in the U.S., less than 15% are awarded to underrepresented minorities. We need to reconcile these opposing trends so that the composition of our STEAM education pipeline reflects America’s shifting demographics4.
3 (Vasquez, Sneider & Comer, 2013).
4 Atkins, Rodney. “America Desperately Needs More STEM Students. Here’s How to Get Them.”Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 9 July 2012. Web. 18 Feb. 2015.
Why Should My Child Study STEAM with BGCM?
Because BGCM offers HIGH QUALITY STEM + ARTS EDUCATION. PLUS, WE'RE BOTH AFFORDABLE AND LOCAL.
The ability to compete in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields are pertinent to the success of our children in order to gain a competitive advantage over their peers. We must position them to succeed now, academically; and later in the workforce. Additionally, there is a great need for returning Arts into the national curricula. Other countries have realized that STEAM (STEM+Arts) education is an international priority, and we must recognize the same. Arts education enhances creativity and inspires innovation. Both are critical components to creating new industries in the future. At BGCM, your child will be Encouraged!
In order to achieve global competitiveness, BGCM has designed our STEAM summer program with an innovative method for youth to learn using a fun, out of the box approach to education. Your child will be Empowered! With our combination of first-class STEM instruction, combined with Arts education (STEAM), your child will experience a fresh approach to science, technology, engineering, arts, and math. Our instructors will provide students with tools designed to refresh, improve, and advance their current knowledge. Your child will be ready to Transform Communities!
Upon completion of our STEAM summer program, your child will be equipped to carry out the vision of BGCM…Encourage, Empower, and Transform Communities!
What Should We Expect from BGCM's Programs and Camp?
STEAM is taught as one subject. Additional arts options are available.
- SCIENCE: Learning through interactive and hands-on science activities. Students will become mini scientists and gear up for fun experiments and science adventures!
- TECHNOLOGY: Participate in an array of problem solving activities with exposure to rudimentary and complex concepts.
- ENGINEERING: Various engineering techniques integrated into the curriculum to offer a comprehensive learning paradigm based on real-world applications.
- ARTS: Utilize visual art, design, drawing and more ,to foster creativity, design thinking, tech literacy, teamwork, and problem solving.
- MATH: Students will become familiar with fundamental and multifaceted mathematical concepts.
- ESL & ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTION (Summer Only): Students will also be exposed to Reading, Writing, Current Events/Social Studies and ESL (if applicable).
Do you serve students with basic, intermediate, and advanced STEAM skills?
YES! We serve students with skills from all levels. Our programs are designed to level the playing field for students with less experience and will also challenge students with more advanced skills.
Do BGCM Programs align with NGSS or Common Core Standards?
YES! All lessons link to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Engineering Design standards and the Common Core.
How can I make a donation?
Click here to give a donation.
WHAT MIGHT STUDENTS LEARN IN STEAM?
Click below to see examples of topics covered in each grade group. IF YOU DO NOT SEE A PARTICULAR TOPIC LISTED BELOW, PLEASE CONTACT US TO FIND OUT IF WE OFFER WHAT YOU OR YOUR CHILD MAY BE LOOKING FOR.
Grades 3-5 curriculum may include:
- Design and creating inventions
- Strengthening designs
- Making things move
- Fine motor coordination, logical reasoning, spatial visualization
- Cooperation, teamwork, problem solving and finding solutions
- Trucks, Helicopters, Robots, Caterpillars, Cell Phones, and More.
- Construction Vehicles
- Hoists and Cranes
- Carnival Rides
- Conveyors and Elevators AND MUCH MORE!
Grades 4-12 curriculum may include:
- Mechanical and Structural Engineering
- A deep dive into Simple Machines and Mechanical Advantage
- Computer Aided Design and 3D Printing
- Competitive Design Challenges. AND MUCH MORE!
Grades 6-12 curriculum may include:
- Simple to Compound Machines
- Design, Mechanical, Structural, and Civil Engineering
- Motors and Motion
- Develop Mechanisms to Achieve Desired Functionality
- Arduino Coding
- Steps to Successful Inventions AND MUCH MORE!
*When you enroll in 4 or 6 weeks of full day STEAM camp and pay in full from 5/15/18 - 5/31/18. One offer per family. Offers cannot be combined with any other discounts. Offer must be mentioned at time of registration. Terms and conditions subject to change without prior notice.
*When you and 3 friends enroll in 4 or 6 weeks of full day STEAM camp and pay in full from 5/15/18 - 5/31/18. One offer per family. Only first referring family will receive offer. Offers cannot be combined with any other discounts. Terms and conditions subject to change without prior notice.
STEAM ONLY - Full Day Camp 9:00am-4:00p
Now Enrolling for 2018
Your child will encounter a whole new world of fun with a host of programs to choose from, including STEM + Arts = STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math), Robotics, Young Entrepreneurship, SSAT/SAT/ACT Prep and Writing. Breakfast and lunch may also be included with tuition! They will also experience many of the programs, activities, guests, and trips as explained above; plus much more for 2018.
- Expect action packed days, games, new skills discovery, safe adventures, and devoted counselors. Campers will be energized to come back each day.
- Every camper receives free breakfast and lunch!
- 6 Weeks: June 25th – August 3th; Monday – Friday: 9:00am – 4:00pm; Grades 3-12/Ages 8-17. Before and After Care is available. See registration forms for more information.
- CIT (Counselors-in-Training) program available.
- CONTACT US TODAY. LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE. SPACES FILL UP QUICKLY.
What to Bring to Camp Daily - Please send your child with the following items (labeled with their name):
- Backpack, 1" Spiral Notebook, 1 Folder, 2 pens, pencils
- Sunscreen, Water bottle, Sneakers daily
Summer Fashion & Design 101
Pattern Cutting & Sewing Techniques
WHAT MIGHT STUDENTS LEARN?
Students will be exposed to basic sewing skills, and build confidence in various pattern cutting techniques. Through practical demonstrations and hands on experience, students learn how pattern pieces are shaped to make garments, and how to lay out patterns ready to cut out and make up a garment with their new found sewing skills. Session fees include: All Activities; Sewing and Project Supplies; Field trips available at additional cost (Typically $5-$10 per trip).
- Dart manipulation, pivoting and slashing
- Grain lines, balance marks
- Using a ½ scale size 12 block
- Designing a simple shirt
- Pattern cutting and making a sample in calico
- Sewing techniques
- Various seam constructions and finishing finishing
Important Enrollment Information:
Classes are based on enrollment (Grades 8-12). Minimum 10 students needed to confirm class. Seats are confirmed once payment is received. First come, first served. Book early to avoid disappointment. Dates are subject to change based.
TIER III - Now Enrolling for 2018
2 Week Session:
4 Week Session: $1,199
6 Week Session: $1,625
Now Enrolling for 2018
3 Week Session: $450 (Two 3 Week Sessions: $900)
Choose one or both sessions
Session I: 6/25-7/13; Session II 7/16-8/3
In BGCM's STEAM program, your child will encounter a whole new world of fun. They may also experience guest speakers and field trips.
- Expect action packed days, games, new skills discovery, safe adventures, and devoted instructors. Students will be energized to come back each day.
- Snacks will be available for purchase daily.
- CONTACT US TODAY. LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE. SPACES FILL UP QUICKLY.
What to Bring to Class:
- Notebook, 1 Folder, 2 pens
4 Week Session: $200
Limited Scholarships Available
Duration: 4 Weeks
Days/Times: Mon/Wed; 5:30-7:00p
Location: Marlboro, NJ
SO ENROLL TODAY!
FALL (2 Sessions):
Oct 4 - Oct 26
Nov 1 - Nov 30 (No class Nov 22)
SPRING (2 Sessions):
Jan 9 - Feb 1
Feb 6 - Mar 1 or 6 (TBD)